Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Poor Animals (cars can be repaired)

Since Gail posted pictures of our "poor Murano" I thought I would post pictures of the poor bear I killed while driving the State vehicle a couple of years ago. (Warning! Images may not be suitable for veiwing by the tender hearted.) I feel bad for the bear and the deer but I also feel bad about my pocket book. We wanted to give you all more money for Christmas this year but just know that the othr part of your Christmas money is going to pay for our repairs. I'm sure that fixing our Murano was not on your Christmas gift list for us but thanks anyway. I haven't received the estimate yet on the Murano but my deductible is $1,000 so it's still going to be expensive out of pocket. It's one of those What if? situations. We had Stake Conference that week end and I had debated about going to Cortez. I am off on Fridays and I thought about going then but ended up cleaning house and doing other things. On Saturday I got busy cleaning my fish tank at my office and so it was getting too late to be going to Cortez. But I wanted to get some pictures developed at Wal-Mart and didn't know when I would get another chance. I knew that I would miss the Adult meeting Sat. evening but I decided to go anyway. Coming back from Cortez I stopped in Dove Creek to buy some Adobe popcorn to send to Chrislynn and Richie in New Jersey and then I made a stop in Monticello before heading on to Blanding. At about a quarter to nine I was four miles south of Monticello. A car was coming toward me so I had to lower my high beams. I always watch for deer along this stretch of road and I've worried about not being able to see deer when another vehicle is coming. Well sure enough I had three deer in front of me. One was on my left in the center of the road and two more were on the right getting ready to follow. I tried to split the seam but clipped the deer on the right or it clipped me. I was lucky it was not worse. At least the headlight was in tact. I felt bad for the little deer. It was probably a couple of fawns following their mother. Anyway I wonder... Had I not gone to Cortez would I have hit a deer another time? or... Had I not stopped along the way home would I have missed that deer but hit another? I certainly don't believe in predestination but I sure wish I had missed the deer all together. The moral of the story I guess is that I should have stayed home and gone to Stake conference.

When I shared the what if senario with Jerry Mosley he had the following response...

Worth,

Here is the real story on the Murano.

A little family with two small children were heading north having just left Blanding. They had just gassed up the car and earlier in the day the dad felt an premonition of impending danger. It was going to be a long drive in the dark so he felt impressed to call the family to prayer before begining their journey. After the prayer they all buckled in and drove away. Four miles south of Monticello a small herd of deer were winding their way through the trails and byways along the highway. One of the deer was determined to cross the road. By the power of the prayer of faith of that father, a south-bound Murano driven by a godly man intercepted the deer and safely negotiated the vehicle to a stop. The deer would have gone through the windshield of the south-bound car and made orphans of the little children except for the intervention from on high that saved them according to their faith at the expense of a good man who was brought to that very moment in time for a reason.

Foreordination, not predestination.


(Well maybe he's right. I think there is a reason for everything. I wonder what Jerry's take is on the bear killing. I think it was just a matter of the wrong place, wrong time for the bear or as Gail said maybe he was just being suicidal or maybe he was just having a bad day that got worse. )











7 comments:

Nan said...

Jerry has an interesting perspective. You should post a picture of him, so people have a face to go with his stories.

Gail said...

How does the Lord decide WHOSE prayers to answer affirmatively? Some day maybe we will understand.

Chrislynn said...

Now I feel guilty because I have been wanting more popcorn, so maybe it is MY fault that you hit the deer.

Richie said...

I still can't believe the pictures of Worthy touching the bear!

SAYDA said...

Oh my gosh! I just imagined that bear waking up when Worthy went to touch it. I imagined the bear very angry and confused. Quit running into animals Worthy.
WE LOVE YOU, SAYDA

SAYDA said...

Thought I'd just remind you since most likely you'll do it again. Sometimes they just get stunned and can wake up very angry. Have a Merry Christmas and save me some of those road-kill steaks.
Dick

Worthy Sr. said...

I thought about that as well after I had pulled the bear off the highway. (Actually when I first tried to pull the bear off the highway I couldn't because it was too heavy. Another motorist stopped and helped me.) If the bear had woke up I probably would have set a world record in the 100 meter dash back to the vehicle. Hopefully there won't be a next time but if there is I'll try to remember to not mess with a sleeping bear. Also I'll have to be sure and get some roadkill steak for Dick and anyone else interested. Tim said dog is okay if you don't know that is what you're eating. I haven't hit a horse or an elk yet but I did hit a cow long ago and I had to pay the rancher because it was on open range and I didn't get any steak either.